How I Clean My Makeup Brushes




I've had a couple of people ask how I wash my makeup brushes, when I posted a photograph of my freshly washed brushes on instagram a while back and I've finally got round to doing a post. I haven't shown you photos of me actually washing my brushes as that could get messy and I can imagine myself splashing the camera, so hopefully you'll get the gist. 

I wash one brush at a time and start off by completely wetting he bristles, making sure not to get any water past the barrel as this is when the glue gets ruined and the bristles fall out. I then grab the Simple's antibacterial handwash, I prefer to use simple soaps as they are gentle on my brushes and my sensitive skin. I apply a pump on my palm and wiz the brush around in circular motions until all the makeup seems to disappear. I find these Real Techniques really easy to wash as the bristles have white tips, helping to show when the makeup has been completely removed. If the makeup is being quite stubborn I tend to repeat this step until the water is running clear from the brush. 

I then go in with the second Simple soap, this is a moisturising one and it really makes a difference to the feel of the brushes. This makes sure that the brushes are completely clean and adds a soft touch to them. Again I apply this to the palm of my hand and create circular motions with the brush to make sure the brushes are having a good old clean. I rinse thoroughly with water, swirl them on some kitchen roll so that they aren't soaking wet, otherwise they'll never dry! I then carry on with the rest of my brushes, then place them on the edge of my chest of drawers with the brush end hanging off the edge, this way they can dry well, without getting flat edges. Make sure you don't place them upwards in a pot because all the water will run down the barrel and ruin the glue.

Please share your tips with me for washing brushes. I'd also like to get my hands on one of the proper brush cleaning mitts, let me know any recommendations of them.


Lucy x